This Thursday millions of Americans back in the States will be sitting down with their family and or friends to enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I on the other hand, will be in Sydney searching high and low for a restaurant that will be serving up a Thanksgiving feast! I am afraid that this will not be an easy task.The weather is not getting cool, the leaves are not changing colors, and the airports are no less crowded this week than any other week in Australia.
You really begin to realize how far away from Boston you are when it is mid to late November and you are wearing shorts day in and day out and the daily temperature and humidity is climbing up and up upon every forecast!
The Australians, like most things American, are intrigued by Thanksgiving. I have been asked a lot of questions about its history and what the traditions are. Luckily the Australians can't give me too much grief on how the native Americans were treated in the years after the Pilgrims first landed due to the history the Australians have with their original people, the Aborigines.
About two weeks ago all of the stores in Brisbane have gone full tilt towards Christmas. The
decorations have gone up and the sales have already started. Its easy to look forward to Christmas as an Australian because not only is it a time to share with family but its also the unofficial start of their Summer.I wish I was back in Boston to wish each of you a Happy Thanksgiving but I have a date with Bondi Beach for the weekend in Sydney! I may even try my hand at surfing!
4 comments:
Pictures - must see pictures of Bondi Beach!!! Enjoy! It snowed here in Boston yesterday. Luckily none of it stuck.
Have a GREAT Thanksgiving Ernie. Maybe try the other white meat if you can't find turkey. We miss you and look forward to seeing you when you are here for Christmas.
Hey Jal- I saw on Boston.com that it has snowed....crazy to think that its in the mid 80's and 90's here! There will be pictures of Bondi... especially North Bondi...where the boys are!
Steve - I miss you guys a ton too! I have some good pictures of you and John on my digital frame! Love it! I will see you in less than a month! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Post a Comment